I was never a fan of celebrities. But when providence intervenes we cannot reject whatever we have that comes from God. Tita Cory (as many of us call the late President Corazon Aquino), like all of us, comes from God. Her being celebrity makes her so different from us in so many ways.
- 1. Tita Cory is a woman of prayer so she is always in constant contact with God. Can we imagine what a wonderful world we will have if all world leaders especially men will be persons of prayer?
- Answers to women’s clamor for equality with men began only in the 80’s year of the Aquarius, although the Bible, particularly in Genesis, says that God created them man and woman. Tita Cory was insulted when Marcos said that women are good for bed only. And one newspaper columnist became the object of her ire when he wrote that she hid under her bed during the first coup attempt against her administration.
- Tita Cory did not ask to be president of the country. In her reluctance she had to ask for a million signatures before she decided to say yes. Everybody knows she did not compete with her husband who died a senator. She died as president of her country.
- Tita Cory is a disappointment to elitists because she is only a housewife. Honors and adulations not only in her country but throughout the world were given her without she working for them. Even the poorest of the poor love her and she loved God through them.
- She did not need to manipulate to make beautiful events happen. They just happened in God’s own time. She did not practise magic. Her presence in life and even in death is magic.
- She is eucharist or thanksgiving personified. Thank You, God, for giving us Tita Cory. Thank you, Tita Cory.